Saturday, February 12, 2011

Starlight Children's Charity

What a feel good start to the weekend, even if I did shed a few tears in the process.

I have just spent the morning in a training session to become a "Wishgranter" for the Starlight Children's Charity. I have been involved with Starlight for a number of years and previously volunteered for a fortnightly 4 hour session in the Starlight Express Room at Princess Margaret Hospital (WA).

The Express Room is a place within each of the major children's hospitals that are filled with computer games, activities and toys for the sick kids and their families to play with. Plus there is Captain Starlight who is always around to put a smile on the kids’ faces and the regular visits from celebrities and sporting heroes.

Volunteering in the Express room was incredibly rewarding as you were able to help brighten the lives of these courageous kids, who were stronger than you could imagine. The smiles and laughter would stay with you right up until the next visit.

It's been a few years since I was involved with the SER and with work commitments I was looking for a new way of being involved. Wishgranting is a wonderful opportunity that has presented itself. Basically there are a large number of children currently awaiting 'wishes' and Starlight requires volunteers to be assigned a child and help manage their wish from a dream to reality.

At today's session we were taking through the process of wishgranting and now I eagerly await my phone call, where I will be assigned my wish child. The highlight of today's session was the promotional videos which we were shown of completed wishes. The reactions on the kids’ faces were priceless, reducing most of us to tears and it completely reinforced my decision to get involved. The email I sent to enquire about the program and the decision I made to attend today's session was the best decision I have made for a long time.

So basically I urge anyone with a bit of spare time or any interest in helping out to check out the  Starlight Website and jump in. 

The SER and Wishgranting Programs are only part of what can be done, so there is something for everyone, no matter how much/how little time you have.

I can tell that this adventure is going to just as rewarding for me as it is for my wish child. I can't wait!

Becstar x

No comments:

Post a Comment